Motivation, goals made easier with SMART program

By Megan Rodriguez

As students begin setting fitness goals, motivation may be the key to sticking to them.

Moira Stuart, a professor of kinesiology and physical education, said having motivation determines the immediate effort students will put into their fitness plans.

“Long-term motivation will determine adherence to an exercise program,” Stuart said. “Don’t worry if you are not motivated every day to work out. Sometimes people don’t feel motivated to go to their workout, but they usually feel better once they have worked out.”

Stuart recommends students start by setting “SMART” goals, which stands for specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and with a timeline.

“Most people just say they want to get in shape, which is not a ‘SMART’ goal,” Stuart said. “You should choose activities that you enjoy.”

Stuart also said students should focus on the improvement they are making, rather than their long-term fitness goals.

“For example, if you want to lose a certain amount of weight or decrease your mile-run time, it is best to track one’s progress in terms of short-term improvement goals, not just the long-term outcome goal,” Stuart said. “Short term goals will help sustain motivation.”

Sophomore kinesiology major Brittany Swantek, who is studying preventative and rehabilitative exercise science, agreed with Stuart about sticking to realistic goals.

“I stay motivated by setting long- and short- term goals,” Swantek said. “I find it easiest to make daily goals so that I can stay positive and feel accomplished.”

Other ways to stay motivated while exercising include working out with others. Stuart said encouragement provides a source of confidence.

“Encouragement keeps your energy focused and allows you to have a positive attitude toward your workouts,” Stuart said. “Having someone to work out with can be very motivational,” Stuart said. “First, you are accountable to that person. Second, you can encourage each other and provide positive feedback about your progress.”

Stuart also stressed the importance of finding an exercise regimen that works best for the individual.

Keith Porner, a junior business management major, said he works out alone because it helps him stay focused and motivated.

“There are so many personal benefits to staying motivated while exercising,” Porner said. “I have been working out for eight years, and I don’t work out with friends. It is too easy to get distracted, and I like to get in and out.”