Task force finds low academic achievement from minorities

By Andy McMurray

The racial task force at DeKalb High School has recommended action on the gap in academic achievement between different races.

“[The task force found] low academic achievement among African-American and Hispanic students relative to their white and Asian classmates,” DHS Assistant Principal Mary Hawley said.

The Prairie State Achievement Exam is one tool used to determine academic achievement. The exam tests 11th graders in math, reading, writing, science and social science.

The PSAE is broken into four levels of performance. Levels one and two are below the passing standards; levels three and four meet or exceed the standards.

The 2004 DHS report card shows the achievement disparity.

In math, 40.3 percent of white students fell below the standards, while 88.9 percent of black students failed to meet the standards.

It is this disparity that DHS hopes to address through curriculum revision.

In all curriculum revisions, the district tries to be aware of challenging students, said Linell Lasswell, assistant superintendent of curriculum and instruction.

The school already has eliminated general math and opted for a two-year algebra program, she said.

The high school also is looking at altering curriculum in other areas.

They will review placement criteria in math, English, science and other subjects, Hawley said.

In the social sciences, DHS will redesign the content of the American History course, she said. The school will also look at changing World Geography to World Cultures.

Many of these changes will be ready for next school year, Hawley said. New courses will take more time to implement.

The review of the English curriculum may include a revision of the reading list to include a better diversity of voices, Hawley said.

The high school also hopes to hire a reading specialist to assist students, Hawley said.

School board members recognized the problem of the achievement gap.

Struggles in math and science are not a problem isolated to DHS, board member Andy Small said.

Small, a lab manager in the NIU Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, said he sees achievement struggles in math even at the collegiate level.