MAC attacking at the midway point

By Jarrod Rice

How far can the NIU women’s basketball team’s trio of sophomores take them?

For the answer to that question look no further than the team’s 5-foot-5 point guard Stephanie Raymond.

“We are going to the big dance by senior year,” Raymond said. “That’s a 100-percent guarantee.”

That may seem like a lofty goal from a player whose team has a record of 6-12 and hasn’t made the NCAA tournament in 10 years, but doubters may want to think twice before questioning her.

Raymond, along with the team’s other two sophomores, Kristin Wiener and Mary Basic, have started every game this season and are first, second and fourth in scoring respectively.

The three sophomores combine for 33.1 points, 16 rebounds and 6.6 steals per game and are all averaging at least 31 minutes per game.

“They add another dimension to our program,” NIU coach Carol Hammerle said. “We need the three of them to play a big role in our scoring in order for us to be successful.”

The chemistry the three players share on the court may seem natural, but it is something the players have had to work at according to Basic.

“Right now we are still looking for consistency and trying to establish a strong team,” said the Lemont native. “All three of us respect each other and what we can do to contribute.”

As freshmen they finished the season with a record of 12-16, and while it would appear this season has been a step back for the Huskies, Raymond thinks of it as an opportunity to build a new team around herself, Wiener and Basic.

“I think the three of us can be the core of this team,” said the Rockford native. “With us two guards and Kristin in the post we can do a lot in the offense.”

The Huskies lost their three leading scorers from last season, which combined for 32.7 points per game. Because of graduation and the transfer of forward Joi Scott, the teams leading scorer at 11.4 points per game, to Murray State.

The team has shown its youth at times during the season in the form of losing streaks and inconsistent shooting, but has also shown plenty of potential.

In their first conference game of the season, the Huskies traveled to defending MAC champion Eastern Michigan where Basic hit the game-winning three pointer to beat the Eagles for only the third time in their last 10 tries.

“We are getting good experience,” Wiener said. “We are becoming more and more confident with each game we play.”

And as for Raymond’s guarantee.

“[Laughs] That’s Stephanie,” Basic said. “I support her confidence, but we need to win the MAC first.”