Counselor: Change the way we look at Valentine’s Day

By Rasmieyh Abdelnabi

Many students are reinventing the traditional definition of Valentine’s Day as they cope with spending the day alone.

“We have to change the way we look at Valentine’s Day,” said Diane Pospisil-Kinney, staff counselor in the Counseling and Student Development Office. “It should be about romance and friendship. Valentine’s Day is not a day just for love.”

Valentine’s Day should be about taking care of oneself and connecting with family and friends, Kinney said. Being single on Valentine’s Day is not the worst thing that could happen.

Doing something for yourself is important on this day, Kinney said. Suggestions for singles on Valentine’s Day include watching a movie, taking a walk, making dinner instead of sticking something in the microwave, calling your best friend or leaving your room or apartment. Students can also find an event on campus to participate in.

Don’t focus so much on being single, Kinney said, but work through your feelings by talking to someone or writing in a journal.

Due to the high volume of Valentine’s Day commercials, many people also focus on their relationships or lack thereof, Kinney said.

“Commercials are overrated,” said Chana Falkner, a senior community health major. “You don’t show love with material things, you show it with actions.”