SA Speaker: Proposal to increase student fees in NIU’s near future

By Rasmieyh Abdelnabi

There will be a proposed increase in student fees in the near future, said Student Association Speaker Andrew Nelms at the SA’s first meeting of the spring semester Monday.

No further details were released.

Nelms said NIU President John Peters requested the increase be no more than 3 percent.

Eddie Williams, executive vice president of operations of finance and facilities, will review the recommendations.

The SA, Williams and Peters also will have a meeting about the recommendations in the near future.

The final step will be a meeting of the Board of Trustees to discuss the issue in March.

The BOT approved a 6.4 percent student fee increase for FY05 in March 2004. Last year’s increase covered the rising costs of student health insurance and the replacement of two buses every year as part of the bus contract.

The BOT approved a similar 6 percent increase in March 2003 for FY04.

FY05 students fees, for 12 or more credit hours, were $902.82 per semester. A 3 percent increase would cost students about $27 more in student fees per semester.

The group originally was scheduled to meet in the Holmes Student Center’s Clara Sperling Sky Room, its normal meeting location, but heating problems forced the organization to the HSC’s Capitol Room.

Due to the sudden change in the location of the meeting, some campus groups’ representatives were not present. The Senate decided that because of the confusion, they would give those groups another opportunity to present themselves.

The absent groups included the Asian-American Student Association, Kappa Phi Lambda, the NIU Gymnastics Club and the Polish Student Association.

A number of student organizations were recognized, including Best Buddies, the NIU Academic Criminal Justice Association, the NIU Striders Club, NorthernSwing Tips and the Albanian Student Association.