On Guard

By Greg Feltes

One NIU student organization makes sure students are “on guard” three times a week.

The NIU Fencing Club is a 20-member organization dedicated to celebrating the 500-year-old, saber-based sport.

Vice president Gina Galinis, a senior time arts major, said she likes the challenges the sport provides.

“What I like most about fencing is that it is more physical than what people think, and it is also mentally challenging as well,” she said. “Plus I do love being able to play with swords.”

Club adviser John Dickerman, a biology instructor, said fencing is not something to take lightly.

“It takes a lot of practice, so I think you have to have a strong interest and be willing to work to get better,” he said. “That’s not something you just pick up and play around with. If you are not very serious, you are not going to have a lot of fun because you are going to get beat all the time. You are not going to be any good.”

Galinis said not treating fencing seriously could lead to injury.

“Fencing can be dangerous if you don’t have the proper equipment,” she said. “You do need a helmet, jacket and glove, which the club provides.”

Galinis said all the swords have safety tips, but there can be minor injuries.

“You sometimes only get small bruises from the sword contact,” she said. “The blade of the swords breaks occasionally from use but rarely causes injury.”

Dickerman said he could not recall a serious incident at any meeting.

One thing that occasionally does get bruised, however, is the male ego.

“For me, people react surprised when I tell them I fence,” Galinis said. “And then they say, ‘Wow, that’s cool.’ I think people act surprised because I’m female, and it’s more thought of as a male sport.”

The fencing club meets three times a week at the Office of Campus Recreation. There is a session for beginners at 9 p.m. Mondays, an advanced class at 9:30 p.m. Tuesdays and an open session at 6 p.m. Fridays. Membership costs $15 per semester.

For more information, e-mail [email protected].