Group hosts AIDS Awareness Week

By LaShaunna Watkins

Delta Sigma Theta is hosting its second annual AIDS Awareness Week starting today. The week offers several programs to educate students about the harmful effects of the AIDS virus.

Meagan Lumpkin, a member of Delta Sigma Theta, said the issue is very important and needs to be addressed.

“This is something that affects all communities,” Lumpkin said.

Today there will be sign-ups for the organization’s flag football game and raffle ticket fundraisers at Neptune Central and the Holmes Student Center near the bus turnaround. The football game costs $15 per team, and raffle tickets are $1 each. Lumpkin said students still can donate money even if they do not wish to participate in the game. All money raised will go to the UNAIDS Foundation, the United Nations’ joint program on HIV and AIDS.

On Tuesday, Steve Lux, health educator at Health Enhancement Services, will speak about the effects of AIDS and how it can be prevented.

Free and confidential AIDS testing will be available to students on Wednesday and will be administered by Gary Judd of the DeKalb County Health Department. The organization also will pass out bags with contraceptives and brochures about the effects of unsafe sexual behavior.

To finish its week of events, Delta Sigma Theta will host a bowling and billiards party at the Huskie Den on Thursday. The event is free to students, but donations are welcome. Lumpkin said this event thanks students who have supported their events. Raffle prizes and red ribbons will be distributed at the event.

“Supporting these events will help those affected at the local, national and international level,” Lumpkin said.