Group helps build business success

By LaShaunna Watkins

Black Male Initiative hosted “Making it in the College of Business” Tuesday at Stevenson South’s Multipurpose Room.

“The purpose of this event is to educate students with helpful hints and tips of how to be a successful student in the college of business,” BMI President Jamal Jones said.

Jonathan Tadese, a senior finance major and presenter at the event, said students should become well-acquainted with their advisers during freshman year. Students should look into joining one of the College of Business’ 22 professional organizations, he said.

Sam Baker, a College of Business adviser, said it is important that students learn how to read their DARS report.

“Your DARS report is like a Bible you should follow while in school,” he said.

Sophomore management major Irin Pruitt said students should set a grade point average goal of no lower than 2.75 during sophomore year. He said this is what is needed to get into UBUS 310, the core business course.

Also, students should have a resume and should search for an internship by utilizing the co-op office. He also encourages students to attend job and internship fairs.

“It’s a good idea to go,” he said. “Obviously, everyone who goes is not guaranteed a job.”

Junior OMIS major Michael Crawford said students entering their junior year should begin building relationships with their professors because they might help students with their professional pursuits.

“Letters of recommendation are an important tool in getting a job,” Crawford said.

Crawford also said students should know their academic adviser by first name. He also suggested building relationships with other business students. Often, students need help and will have to turn to their peers, he said.

Senior finance major Kevin Williamson said students should not slack off just because it is their senior year in college.

“Stay focused and finish out strong,” he said.

Baker also warned against slacking off, because students might decide to go to graduate school. Baker said some employers consider grades from senior year.

Students also should choose electives wisely, Williamson said. He said students should look to take classes to improve themselves or to fulfill their personal initiative, such as philosophy.

Baker summed the session up by suggesting that students do their research each semester.

“The more prepared you are, the easier it is to graduate,” Baker said.