Districts divided over soda removal

By Sara Dolan

Local schools’ decisions to remove soda varies with the district.

The American Academy of Pediatrics issued a formal statement in January in favor of removing soft drinks from schools.

Sycamore has decided to keep the soda option for students.

Sycamore High School provides fountain drinks as part of its hot lunch program as well as providing soda vending machines accessible during the school day, Superintendent Robert Hammon said. The district has no intention of removing soda from its schools.

The American Academy of Pediatrics reports that one in every three children is at risk of becoming obese. Furthermore, the obesity can be attributed to excess calories.

“Basically, soda contains a lot of empty calories. It’s high-calorie and zero nutrients,” said Mary Strohm, a health educator with NIU’s Health Enhancement Services.

DeKalb Community Unit School District 428 does not have soda available during school hours in any of its 11 institutions, said Zack Zeciroski, food coordinator for the north side of the district.

DeKalb High School has vending machines that sell carbonated soda, but they only are accessible before and after school, Zeciroski said. DeKalb High School Principal Larry Stinson said the school has a contract for Pepsi to provide all of its vending machine products.

The school receives a check every month from Pepsi, averaging $800 to $900, Stinson said. The monthly revenue funds student trips and other costs not budgeted.

Penny Becker, food coordinator for the south side of the district, has been with the DeKalb school district for 18 years and never has seen soda provided during school hours.

Currently, there are vending machines in the lunchroom, but they contain only non-carbonated drinks such as Gatorade and Snapple, Zeciroski said.

Linda Wahlstrom, DeKalb High School’s nurse, worries about the sugar content of the non-carbonated alternatives and the size of the containers. Some bottles contain as much as 20 ounces, Wahlstrom said.

“I would prefer to see 100 percent fruit juice and water,” Wahlstrom said.

The sugar content of both soda and the non-carbonated alternatives is a concern. However, the reality is that only half the students have to remain on campus for lunch, said Beth Hirsch, Sycamore High School’s nurse.

Sycamore’s upperclassmen have the option of eating lunch off campus.

“I don’t think that schools providing pop for six hours of the school day is the real problem,” Hirsch said.

Offering soda on campus and not driving students to fast food establishments is a better route to go, Hirsch said. Students who stay on campus find a more nutritional menu than those offered by fast food restaurants.