Job fair to bring 146 employers

By Jamie Luchsinger

NIU’s 32nd spring job fair will draw about 1,200 students and alumni from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday at the Convocation Center, said Jean Callary, assistant director of Campus Recruiting.

Allstate Insurance Company, Target, the Chicago Police Department and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security are among the 146 employers scheduled to attend. A complete list of employers and job fair tips is available at the Career Planning and Placement Web site, www.niu.edu/cppc.

The spring job fair offers permanent positions for graduating seniors and master’s degree candidates, Callary said. However, attendance isn’t limited to graduating seniors. Any student looking for an internship also should attend the fair, Callary said.

Students should take advantage of the opportunities the spring job fair offers, Callary said.

“It’s the only time in your life when you’ve got employers beating a path to your door,” she said.

In addition to saving time and money, the fair offers easy introductions to employers, Callary said. It also gives the student a head start in looking for a job and making necessary contacts.

It is important to start job hunting as early as possible, Callary said, and attending the job fair is the first step toward that goal. Finding a job likely will be more difficult for people who wait, she said.

Computer technology has found its place at the NIU job fairs. Instead of filling out applications in person, many employers are asking students to fill out online applications. Callary said students should not feel discouraged if they find themselves in that situation.

“This doesn’t necessarily mean they don’t want to talk to you,” Callary said. “It means the employer wants to keep track of you.”

Callary said it is important for students to research the company they’re interested in and to consider customizing their resume to that company. She also suggested talking to as many people as possible.

Arriving early is a smart move, Callary said. With only vending machines available for food throughout the day, employers start to get tired and less enthusiastic as the fair comes to an end.