Hull brings campaign to NIU

By Sean Thomas

Blair Hull brought his campaign for Illinois’ democratic nomination for the U.S. Senate to NIU’s campus on Friday. Hull was invited by the NIU College Democrats and the DeKalb County Democrats.

Speaking to a crowd of about 30 students, professors and local residents, Hull shared his vision of how he would act as a senator. He focused much of his speech on his belief that Americans – especially many young adults, the poor and the elderly – need affordable health care.

Hull said he knew the audience had heard a lot of political promises, but he was going to make them a new one.

“In the Senate, if I can’t pass a health care bill that lowers the cost of your health care, I will not run for re-election,” he said.

Hull said he is not a professional politician and he is not taking campaign donations of more than $100 from anyone. He said he is funding the majority of his campaign himself.

“Because of my independence, I can represent everyone,” Hull said.

Hull, who used to be a teacher, said he thinks everyone deserves the opportunity to receive a good education. He also said the government needs to reform international trade, foreign policy and how political candidates are allowed to run for office.

Hull also said he has a record as a businessman and as a citizen who challenges the status quo. He said if he were elected as senator, he would work as an agent of change for long-term improvement.

“If you don’t want change, don’t vote for me,” Hull said.

Brian Johnson, a junior psychology major, said he was impressed with Hull’s trip to NIU to speak to students.

“A lot of students would be able to connect with him if they came out to see him,” Johnson said.

Donna Dalton, acting president of the College Democrats and a sophomore political science major, said she was pleased with Hull’s visit and is impressed by how he has run his campaign.

“The fact that candidates are paying attention to college students and addressing their issues, such as higher education, can be a huge asset in an election,” Dalton said.