Cultural exhibit on display at Douglas

By LaShaunna Watkins

Dreadlocks and water guns are among many interesting facts about African-Americans displayed at an African-American museum in Douglas Hall.

Nitin Goil, hall director for Douglas A/B Wing, and a group of community advisers decided to implement this idea to increase student awareness of African-American culture. The museum took two weeks to construct. Goil said the museum is the first of its kind at the residence halls.

The museum is a way all students can learn about the contributions of African-Americans in this country, Goil said.

The purpose of the museum is to create a place for all students, no matter what ethnic background, to become educated about African-American history, he said.

“There is so much to learn about African-American culture,” Goil said. “It’s so unique that a board or a speaker would not do it justice.”

The museum features facts about African-Americans, ranging from the beginning of the African slave trade to black popular culture. There is a television set where students can watch films about black history.

Goil said he would encourage students to come to the museum because not only is it educational, but also because it is convenient.

“I feel that there is so much here in this room as far culture and everyone can benefit from it. … This is a very unique opportunity for students to learn,” he said.

The museum will be open from 5 to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday until Feb. 20.