School board deals with debt

By Dan Patterson

The DeKalb School Board took on $5.4 million in debt Tuesday night to finance construction projects at four district schools.

Clinton Rosette Middle School, Chesebro Elementary School, the former Malta High School and Huntley Middle School will undergo construction.

The projects originally were to be funded through bond issues, but voters rejected related referenda three times.

The district will receive the money from debt certificates to be repaid over the next nine years from the district budget. Unlike bonds, the certificates do not require a separate tax or a public vote, said MeriAnn Besonen, assistant superintendent in charge of Business and Finances.

Construction at the schools is slated to open for bidding in March and to be completed by the beginning of next school year.

Partnership school to open in fall 2004

The “Name the Partnership School” competition has been narrowed to five suggestions from students, said Scott Kubelka, future principal of the new school, at Tuesday night’s school board meeting.

“We had some charming and quite imaginative suggestions,” Kubelka said. The final names are historical figures, he said, and will be announced at the Feb. 2 school board meeting before the winning entry is chosen.

The former Malta High School site on Route 38 in Malta will house the grade school beginning in fall 2004. NIU College of Education students will be phased in at the K-5 school to gain clinical experience and practice education theory once the school is established.

Kubelka said he was encouraged that 294 students from 211 families have expressed interest in the partnership school.

The school board also approved the low bid of $135,600 to remove asbestos from the Malta site before the school opens.

Mid-year reports are in

Superintendents gave the board a rundown of the progress their respective departments have made this school year.

Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources Jed Dunbar reported the district hired 27 new teachers for the school year.

“They’ve all been very good hires and we intend to keep them around,” Dunbar said.

District accepts grant

The district accepted a $4,500 holiday grant from Wal-Mart based on a portion of Nov. 28 sales.

The DeKalb Park District presented the board with lapel pins honoring the district for its cooperation that led to the National Recreation and Park Association’s Gold Medal Award.

“It was truly a team effort. It’s something we want the city to be proud of,” said Park Board Vice President David Male.