Learning disability group organized

By Katie Conway

Students with learning disabilities will now have the help of a new support group that has been organized and is seeking Student Association recognition.

Several students with learning disabilities have organized a support group to raise student awareness.

Michael Marsden, a member of the group, said, “I prefer to think of it as learning differently as opposed to a learning disability. The group offers a non-pressure environment for students; it’s an opportunity to receive help from their peers.”

Marsden said the group is trying to gain SA recognition which would allow it to pass out pamphlets and brochures to new students.

Marsden said one of the main reasons the group wants to be SA recognized is to raise student awareness. “A learning disability is the unseen disability; to a certain extent everyone has one, only we call it aptitude,” he said.

Marsden said the purpose of the group is threefold, the first to help members deal with the social stigma, second to educate the community of NIU and third to make teachers more aware of the problem.

Although most students are not aware of it, NIU does not employ a learning disabilities specialist. There are several assistants to test students and determine the extent of their disability; however, there is no one to interpret the results and no one to help the students get the individual guidance and counseling a learning disabilities specialist would provide.

Patti Dawser, acting director of the Counseling and Student Developement Center, said there are about 40 students with learning disabilities on the NIU campus. She said students are afraid to let people know they have a learning disability.

“The common misconception is that people with learning disabilities are retarded or stupid,” she said. “People look at them and wonder what they are doing at a school of higher education.”

Dawser said, “It is incredible in this day and age that people feel they have to lie and cover up their disability.” She stressed that the only way to overcome a disability is to get help.

For more information regarding the group or how to get help for a learning disability, contact Marsden at 748-4995 or the Students with Disabilities Center at 753-1303.