Theater students parody horror movies

By Mike Runestad

Laughter and screams could be heard from the Stevens Building’s Players Theatre on Thursday and Friday as theater students presented “Children of the Corn II.”

“Children of the Corn II” contained parodies of 14 different movies including “Alien,” “The Blair Witch Project” and “The Ring.”

“I thought it was awesome,” said senior dance major Andrea Rodriguez, whose favorite skit was the parody of “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.” “They all did a great job.”

In addition to the skits, students dressed as monsters also roamed the audience.

Some students thought a background in horror movies was necessary to fully enjoy the show.

“I think you have to have a knowledge of a lot of scary movies to get stuff,” said junior art education major Bjana Lunde.

“Children of the Corn II” also featured an original piece titled “The Drifter.” The piece featured Alex Gunn, a senior theater major, dressed as a monster and had various scenes throughout the evening. In two scenes, Gunn “killed” disruptive audience members who were part of the show.

“It turned into an actor’s revenge,” said Alice Pacyga, senior theater major and member of the production’s coordinating committee.

The purpose of the piece also was to make the audience uncomfortable.

“We liked the idea of freaking out the audience a little,” said Gunn, who drank blood out of a fake severed hand.

Some aspects of the piece were improvised during the performance.

“I just started and kind of played with it,” Gunn said.

Peers from the theater department said they enjoyed “Children of the Corn II” overall.

“They did a good job becoming the characters,” sophomore theater major Colleen Boag said.