Kappa Alpha Psi inducts new members, honors old

By LaShaunna Watkins

The spring 2003 members of the Epsilon Omicron chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc. were honored Saturday at the Holmes Student Center’s Diversions Lounge.

The ceremony celebrated the passage of the seven spring 2003 members from “neophyte” to “prophyte.” Neophytes are the last set of members to be inducted into an organization, said Romain Crockett, a member of Kappa Alpha Psi who was honored at the event. Crockett said a prophyte is a member who no longer is a neophyte.

The prophyte show is new to the Epsilon Omicron chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi. Turan Crockett, another Kappa Alpha Psi member honored, said they decided to have the ceremony because they wanted to try something new.

“We wanted to be innovative,” he said.

The prophyte show featured older members of the Epsilon Omicron chapter. These members recalled memories from when they were part of the Epsilon Omicron chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi. They also reflected on the seven men who were honored.

“They’re doing great things on campus,” said Kevin Alexander, a member of Kappa Alpha Psi.

Other organizations from NIU’s chapter of the National Pan-Hellenic Council also were present to honor the seven men. Tara McDonald, a member of Sigma Gamma Rho and member of the NPHC, said she came to honor the men and show her support.

McDonald said she also came to show some “Indiana love” because Kappa Alpha Psi and Sigma Gamma Rho were founded in Indiana.

“It’s important for Greeks to support each other,” McDonald said. “Even though we are in different organizations, we are all Greek together.”

Friends of the seven men also came to honor them. Angelo Barkley, a freshman communication major, said he came because of the great job the Kappa Alpha Psi is doing on campus.

“I came to support the Kappas because they’re a great organization,” he said.

At the same time, the event celebrated the newly inducted members of Kappa Alpha Psi. Crockett, a prophyte, said the new members are a great addition to the organization.

“They set goals for themselves and they achieved all of them,” Crockett said.

Turan Crockett, Romain’s twin brother and prophyte, said he encourages men to join the organization. He said those who are interested should let them know.

“Kappa Alpha Psi is an equal opportunity fraternity,” he said. Men from all ethnicities are encouraged to join.

Romain said the organization seeks members who are involved with many activities on campus.

“Those interested in joining should be active in the community and with their books,” Crockett said, “and if they’re serious, they must put their all into it.”