‘Operation’ adds patrol

By Jamie South

The increased number of police on patrol during Homecoming weekend wasn’t just a coincidence – it was the result of “Operation Campus.”

“Operation Campus” is a cooperative effort between local police departments and the Illinois State Police, used when extra patrols are needed in campus towns.

It is a random program that takes place when “there is something going on,” said DeKalb police Lt. Jim Kayes. Usually, DeKalb police ask for the assistance of the state police during events that bring increased amounts of people into the area, such as Corn Fest, NIU’s Homecoming and graduation.

“The extra police presence was especially needed this year,” Kayes said. “This was the worst it has been in years when it came to parking.”

During Homecoming, businesses on the west side of DeKalb were hit especially hard with the increased amount of cars. Traffic brought the west side to a stop on the Friday night of Homecoming weekend. To alleviate the congestion in the area, police had to shut down some businesses for the night.

The main focus of “Operation Campus” is “to keep alcohol out of the hands that it doesn’t belong,” said Master Sgt. Lincoln Hampton of the Illinois State Police.

The operation is performed randomly on campuses around Illinois to deter the sale and consumption of alcohol to minors, driving under the influence and the violation of other traffic laws.

During Homecoming weekend, there were 36 arrests for illegal possession or consumption of alcohol by minors, 28 arrests for failure to wear seatbelts, seven arrests for operation of an uninsured motor vehicles and three arrests for drug violations.