Emmett receives award

By Jaime Swanson

Michelle Emmett, associate vice provost of Student Affairs, received the 2003 Athena Award on Tuesday night at a reception at the Best Western Inn and Suites, 1212 W. Lincoln Highway.

The Athena Award recognizes professional achievement and community involvement, and is awarded specifically to women, Emmett said. The award also recognizes women who serve as role models for women in the community.

“I’ve been very committed to student leadership through the years,” Emmett said. “Part of the award is for mentoring young women, and I’ve tried to do that … I’ve tried to mentor both men and women through the years.”

Emmett said she was shocked to find out she was the recipient of this year’s award. She was chosen from a pool of 11 nominees.

“I have never been at a loss for words … I just couldn’t believe it,” she said.

Emmett came to DeKalb about 22 years ago, and has been involved with the university and community since. She started working with student activities, and was the director of University Programming and Activities for about 12 years, she said. About six years ago, she took over her current position at Student Affairs.

“I’ve been working for students through the years to help make their experience at the university a developmental, and, hopefully, a successful one,” Emmett said.

In the DeKalb community, Emmett said she has been involved at the Newman Catholic Student Center and Kiwanis International; she also said she tries to support the DeKalb United Way.