Eagle closing limits choices

By Megan Rodriguez

Craig Johnson has worked at Eagle for 17 years.

Johnson is the assistant manger of the Eagle food store, 1700 Sycamore Road, which will close sometime soon since Eagle Food Centers filed for bankruptcy.

“I am disappointed,” Johnson said. “We have had a good time working for the company. Although it’s coming to an end, we will move forward.”

Although Johnson will soon be out of a job, he does not know what he wants to pursue as a career after Eagle closes.

Sullivan’s Foods has been a potential option to move into the building. Sullivan’s, however, is hesitant because the lease price on the building is “set too high.”

Also, Sullivan’s is interested in selling alcohol and would need to acquire a Class A liquor license.

Johnson said Eagle’s closing will affect NIU students.

“It will impact the students because they will have fewer choices on where to shop,” he said. “We do have some NIU traffic. It is not heavy as Jewel [1320 Sycamore Road] or Wal-Mart [2300 Sycamore Road].”

Kisha Washington, a senior political science major at NIU, said she will not be affected by Eagle’s closing.

“The Eagle store closing will not change my shopping habits at all,” she said. “I do most of my shopping at Jewel and Wal-Mart.”

Freshman business major Vanessa Guzior agreed. She said she shops at Jewel because that’s where her parents always shopped.

Paul Rasmussen, director of community development in DeKalb, said that although the Eagle store has not been bought by any other grocery chain, DeKalb is still looking for potential retailers.

“It is very hard to find a potential grocery store chain to go into [the Eagle building],” Rasmussen said. “We don’t have any companies right now, but [Sullivan’s Foods] has shown some interest.”

Rasmussen also said that the Eagle closing will affect NIU students.

“Students are affected the same way as residents in DeKalb,” Rasmussen said. “For some, it is the closest grocery store around for them.”