Parents vote for break

By Rachel Helfrich

Nearly half of the parents who responded to the Citizens Advisory Committee’s calendar survey want to schedule the DeKalb schools’ spring break around Easter.

More than 800 of the 1,789 parents who responded picked the Easter schedule over the options of coinciding with NIU or the end of the third academic quarter. Just under 300 parents preferred scheduling the spring break to match the university’s schedule, while 55 thought alternating between the two ideas would be a better option.

Heat also was on the minds of parents as they filled out the survey during registration in DeKalb.

Parents were given three options as to when the school year should begin: the third or fourth week of August or after Labor Day. More than 600 parents chose the fourth week of August, while the third week came in a close second with 501 votes. The option of waiting until after Labor Day received 404 votes from parents, and 242 respondents had no preference.

CAC Chair Ellen Cabrera said 65 respondents added comments to the survey mentioning heat as a major concern. Parents and staff members alike think starting school too early in August subjects students and staff to excessive heat in the schools, whereas the temperatures typically are less extreme in May and early June.

The CAC also asked parents with children in high school when would be the best time for first-semester exams. A strong majority, 625 parents, thought it is best to hold exams before the winter break. Only 64 parents suggested giving exams after the break, while 287 showed no preference.

High school teachers seemed to agree. According to survey results, 205 staff members at the high school thought the exams should be given before the school closes for winter break. About 80 preferred afterward and 119 showed no preference.

Only 86 staff members had a response to whether students performed better on exams when they are given before winter break. While 45 respondees said students do better academically with the tests given before they go on break, 39 said there was no difference in the scores. Two staff members thought students actually did worse when the exams were given before the break.

The results of this survey were presented to the District 428 School Board on Oct. 20. Cabrera said the results will be given to the Professional Relations Committee, which develops suggestions for the academic calendars, but added that the school board still has the final say.

Our part was to get a feel for what the community wants, Cabrera said, adding, “It’s out of our hands.”