Health and Human Sciences to offer food, conversation

By Jamie Luchsinger

More than 20 majors and minors are available through the College of Health and Human Sciences.

Students interested in pursuing a major or minor in the college are encouraged to attend its first-ever “Taste of HHS” Monday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Wirtz Hall’s Light Court.

The Student Advisory Committee of HHS will sponsor the event and hopes to accomplish two main goals.

“First, the Student Advisory Committee hopes the event will help students learn about majors and minors in the college,” said Mary Pritchard, associate dean of the College of HHS. “Second, they hope to encourage students to become involved in student organizations.”

Displays with pictures, banners and brochures will be set up to highlight each student organization. Food and refreshments also will be served at each table or display, Pritchard said.

In addition, Pritchard said prizes will be awarded, including coffee mugs and paperweights.

With consideration that some students aren’t able to attend, people do not have to be present to win a prize, she said. Students can sign up for the drawing prior to the event, and still have a chance to win.

Child development, nursing, military science and clinical laboratory sciences are a few of the majors offered through HHS.

“There has been a great deal of interest by students,” Pritchard said. “We’re hoping [the Taste of HHS] will be an annual event.”

Depending on the turnout, there is a possibility it will be sponsored every semester, she said.