Students respond to Clinton’s plans

By Wendy Arquilla

Most NIU students are reacting favorably to President Clinton’s new plan for funding a college education.

The president said his program would allow students to either pay off college loans with public service or do the service first and accumulate credits to attend college later.

Students who are not interested in paying off loans through public service would have a percentage of their income deducted toward the loan fund.

The plan will get a slow start this summer, with only 1,000 public service positions. However, the number of positions will grow to more than 100,000 positions in the next four years.

NIU students are reacting favorably to the newly revealed plan. Student Association President Paul Middleton, junior political science major, said, “I think that we do lag in education in this country. It’s positive to offer more education to people who, in return, put back into their country.”

Amy Wais, a graduate student in communications, said, “The kinds of jobs people are getting now are not that great. If you could trade community service in spare time and weekends to pay off loans, a lot of people would be interested in it.”

“People can’t afford education anymore, so this country definitely needs a plan like Clinton’s,” said Jennifer Mach, a junior art history major. She said she would participate in the community service.

Senior fashion merchandising major Mattie Gibbs agreed. “I think it would be a good experience for students. Students who could work in inner-city schools could learn more about education and may become interested in the field. If this plan goes into effect, I will definitely be a part of it.”

“As long as there are no restrictions on who can participate, the idea as it stands is a good plan,” said senior psychology major Jen Frale.

Senior communications major Tom Owens expressed some hesitation toward the plan. “The plan sounds good on paper, but the real effects of the plan have yet to be seen.” However, Owens said he would participate in a plan like this.

James Mertes, a third-year law student approved of Clinton’s plan. “(The plan) resolves the problem with student loan default and provides people with a way to pay tuition,” he

said.