Anchor benefit to make splash

By Lesley Rogers

Competition and good will is in the air just in time for Delta Gamma’s 12th Annual Anchor Splash, a day of relays and music, all for a good cause.

The philanthropy will be held at 1 p.m. Sunday in Gabel Pool with a lipsync contest following at 6 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center Ballroom. The cost is $3 to see both events.

“Twenty-four teams are competing in Anchor Splash. The majority are greek, but this year the NIU Cheerleaders, Huskie Band and the business fraternity Delta Sigma Pi will also be participating,” said Karen Bernier, Anchor Splash coordinator.

All the money raised during Anchor Splash goes to benefit Delta Gamma’s philanthropies, which include aid to the blind and sight conservation.

Money also is contributed to the local Lion’s Club to help fund eye glass drop-off centers and to help buy computers that now are available for the blind, said Stacy Skolwick, public relations coordinator for the event.

The teams competing in Anchor Splash are each assigned two Delta Gamma coaches and must compete in basic swimming relays, a surprise event and a special sweatshirt relay in which one coach transfers a sweatshirt from one player to the other between laps. “It’s fun and makes it a little harder to swim,” Skolwick said.

The Lipsync Contest offers an opportunity for the competing teams to raise points for a victory. Skolwick said it’s also fun to watch participants on stage.

“Teams also get points for attendance, participation and the penny voting,” Skolwick said.

“Most Beautiful Eyes” penny voting is taking place throughout the week in Gabel and DuSable Halls and in the Pow Wow of the Holmes Student Center. Photographs of team members’ pretty peepers can be voted on with students’ pocket change. The competing teams get positive points for change and negative points for dollar bills.

“By voting, students can help out our philanthropy and the greek system, as well as knowing their money is going for aid to the blind,” Bernier said.

“The money buys equipment for blind children’s schools, such as textbooks and helping educate young blind children,” Bernier said.

Anchor Splash offers a good time for those participating and those watching, while raising money for a good cause at the same time.

“It seems when everyone gets together they have a lot of fun with it, and many people support Anchor Splash because the money goes to a good deed,” Bernier said. “It is also just really fun to watch.”