Finding your way at Northern Ill.

By Denise Rode

“Finding Your Way” is the theme for the 2003 NIU new student and family orientation programs, which take place between June 9 and Aug. 6. The staff of the Orientation Office and I hope that your orientation day will be the start of a great journey as an NIU student or family member. We are dedicated to helping you find your own path to success, both today and when you return to campus for classes in the fall.

Recently, this office conducted a survey with NIU students, alumni, administrators and faculty to pinpoint the most common issues and concerns new students have when they arrive here. They also shared their advice for making a successful transition to the campus. Here’s just a portion of what they said:

Most common issues for new students

•Managing time and setting priorities.

•Achieving a balance between academics and social life.

•Balancing freedom and responsibility.

•Adjusting to life in the residence halls and living with a roommate (for commuting students, the challenge is getting connected and establishing relationships on campus).

•For transfer students, adjusting to a new institution with its own unique policies, programs and culture.

•For freshmen, making the transition from high school teachers to university faculty who expect students to take responsibility for their learning.

•Asking for help from faculty and staff when it’s needed.

•Getting involved on campus and feeling a sense of belonging.

•Staying connected with family and friends at home while. developing new friendships at NIU.

•Exploring and/or confirming the choice of a major.

Advice from the experts

•Use a daily planner to keep track of classes, study time, work, recreation, etc. We recommend the NIU Academic Planner, available at the University Bookstore.

•For freshmen, be prepared to put in much more study time than in high school.

•Learn to manage your money and establish a budget. Make sure you can balance your checkbook. Watch out for credit card promotions and credit card debt.

•Open, honest communication is the key to good relationships – with your roommate, your instructors, your floor mates, and your family. Don’t wait to resolve problems until it’s too late. •Get involved in at least one campus organization or activity your first semester here. You can choose from intramural athletics, residence hall activities, events at the Convocation Center, fraternities and sororities, honors organizations, campus ministries, and much more. Involved students are more satisfied and more likely to be successful in college.

•Get to know at least one faculty member during your first semester. Don’t be afraid to contact your instructors during office hours and via e-mail. If you need help with a class, talk with the instructor or use NIU’s tutoring or study skill resources.

•Read the Northern Star on-line (www.northernstar.info) or in paper format every weekday.

It’s one of the best sources for campus information and coming events.

•Learn about campus safety and resources to help keep yourself safe.

•Homesickness is normal at first. Stay on campus the first several weekends and give your new environment a chance. Invite family and friends to visit you here.

•Come to NIU with a positive attitude, self-motivation and an openness to new people and experiences.

•Bring realistic expectations to college. Great times with new friends are in store for you, but there also will be long hours of studying, especially around mid-terms and finals.

•Enroll for UNIV 101 (for freshmen) or UNIV 201 (for transfers). The courses are designed to give you the information and support you need to succeed here. One of the best aspects of the course is the chance to meet other new students in a small group environment. Research at NIU and at colleges and universities across the nation has proven that UNIV students do better academically and are more satisfied in college than those who don’t take the course.

•There’s help available for almost any student concern at NIU and there are people here who care about your success, happiness and well-being. You’ll find them in your residence hall, in the classroom and in many of the Student Affairs and academic support service offices. Take initiative and use the many resources you have available.

Best wishes as you find your way to success at NIU!