Sam I Am releases solo effort ‘Refreshing’

By LaShaunna Watkins

There is no class or curriculum here at NIU to teach you how to be successful in the music industry.

Yet Samuel “Sam I Am” Simmons, a junior communication major, along with several students who co-founded Soule Infinite Entertainment, has managed to introduce himself into the music scene.

Sam I Am will release his first solo attempt, “Refreshing,” by the end of this week on Soul Infinite Entertainment’s record label.

Sam I Am has a photographic mural of his life on the wall of his room. He has performed and hosted many events on campus and has pictures and awards to prove it. His awards range from S.I.S.T.E.R.S.’s Tribute to the Black Man to CAB Concert’s freestyle contest.

“It’s an honor when various groups on campus ask me to host their events,” Sam I Am said. “I appreciate all the love they’ve shown me over the past couple of years.”

He has not only been busy here at NIU. Sam I Am has opened for rappers Common and Mr. Cheeks, and soul singer Erykah Badu, he said.

Christopher Dyer, a senior pre-communication major and co-founder of SIE, is proud of the CD that Sam I Am produced through his record label.

“Sam’s album is feel-good music,” Dyer said. “It will put a smile on your face.”

Soul Infinite was started because the founder recognized a gap between the entertainment that groups were bringing and the wants of the students.

Dyer co-founded Soul Infinite with LaShun Tines, a senior art major, and Ryan Flemming because of their love of music. It started with promoting parties. SIE also has promoted several comedy shows, which have featured comedians who have appeared on BET’s “Comic View” and several movies.

Soul Infinite’s venture into promoting and distributing musical talent is not easy, Dyer said. It took Sam I Am and Dyer two years to complete “Refreshing,” which features original material from Sam I Am.

“My album is lyrical, laid back, soulful, and introspective,” Sam I Am said. “I rap about kicking it, emceeing, love and heartbreaks.”

Sam I Am said most people would put his album in the “Neo-Soul” category, but he does not want his music to be typecast.

The album will be available at Record Revolution, 817 W. Lincoln Highway, and Harold’s Chicken, 901 Lucinda Ave., and Soul Infinite will have the albums available on hand.