Barr earns seat on DeKalb City Council

By Todd Krysiak

Seventh Ward residents knew an NIU student would represent them on the city council, but political experience was the deciding factor in a ward that traditionally has had a low voter turnout.

NIU graduate student James Barr beat out Matthew Kapustianyk, a junior political science major, by a vote of 65 to 45.

Barr said he was pleased with the number of voters who turned out.

“Today’s turnout was about twice the turnout of four years ago,” Barr said.

Kapustianyk didn’t find the turnout to be so great. He pointed out that Joe Sosnowski ran unopposed in 1999.

“This was a contested race; I just can’t believe how low the turnout was,” Kapustianyk said. “There’s really not much more I could have done. It’s tough to get students to go out and vote.”

Barr said his first item of business would be to “learn the ropes” and to learn all there is about the city of DeKalb.

“I want to know the city’s budget backward and forward,” he said.

He added he would get to his plans of installing countdown timers at the Annie Glidden Road and Lucinda Avenue intersection as soon as possible.

“I think the city council will react favorably to the idea, the council knows the safety issues that intersection has had, but we’ll have to look at budgetary concerns,” Barr said.

Kapustianyk said he had contacted many of the registered voters in the ward before Monday’s election, and found many didn’t know there was an election Monday.

“I hope these aren’t the people complaining about the city doing nothing to improve life for students, and complaining their voices aren’t being heard,” Kapustianyk said.

Kapustianyk said he believed there were a lot of student issues dealt with in the race, and it was unfortunate more students weren’t willing to take advantage of the opinions the different candidates brought to the elections.

He went on to say he would not just go away.

“I’ll remain present in this area’s politics, and I’ll be in attendance at city council meetings when student issues are heard,” Kapustianyk said.

He added he would remain involved with the DeKalb Democratic Committee, and continue to help gain the party seats on the county board.

When asked about his future in the area’s political offices, Kapustianyk chuckled, “Well, there’s always a mayoral election in two years.”