Fashionable reality for Asian American Association

By Shivangi Potdar

Coordinators of this year’s Asian American Association’s annual fashion show put a reality television twist on it with the theme “Reality Overload.”

Using videos, the students mocked the flood of reality programs on television.

The show started with a video introducing the board. All the members were shown lounging mindlessly before the television for hours before they realized they had a show to put on and rushed out.

The choreographers and board members appeared on stage, dancing to music from “Austin Powers.”

The first act was club-wear scene. Students strutted club attire to hip-hop music.

A video presentation of students pretending to be participants on “American Idol” followed.

A cultural scene was next, with participants dressed in colorful, floral outfits. The girls wore bright leis and flowers in their hair and the guys wore Hawaiian shirts and shorts.

Participants raced on stage to perform in a special episode of “Survivor: Polynesia.”

A Hawaiian dance had the girls and guys shaking their behinds to the beats of hula music.

From the island feel of the hula dancers, the mood shifted to the rapping scene of “8 Mile.”

Dave Manalang transformed himself into the Eminem of DeKalb in a video that followed. Manalang was shown living out of a trash can, writing music on pieces of paper on the Huskie Bus and rapping in the bathroom, 8 Mile style.

Urban wear had students dancing in sweat pants, tank tops, bandanas and hooded sweatshirts.

“Are You Hot” spoofed the ABC show and was followed by the sleepwear scene, where bare chested guys and girls in tank tops and shorts danced to slow, seducing music.

The strong armed guys showed off by lifting the girls on their shoulders and doing one arm push-ups to the delight of the screaming audience.

The intermission featured a rapping duo and an a cappella act.

The rappers swore and used foul language, which some thought was inappropriate for the children and families in the audience.

“It was not in the right context,” said Kaneisha Johnson, a junior marketing major. “I was going to walk out.”

The emcee apologized to the audience on behalf of the Asian American Association.

The formal wear fashion show with tuxedos and prom dresses followed a video of students spoofing the Bachelor.

The next act was the only act with a live singer. Molly Farrelly sang “A Moment Like This,” while the couples slow danced.

MTV Cribs — The College Tour — appeared on stage. The emcee joked around saying, “We got the jacuzzi in the back with the hot girls; we aren’t going to show it.”

A video showed the students joining in on a Fear Factor challenge, where each participant had to reach the top of a jungle gym and eat flamin’ hot Cheetos. This preceded the final act, which was sportswear.

“This was our 13th year in production,” said Ryan Billedo, vice president of Internal Affairs. “We’ve evolved to better quality.”