Recent burglaries arouse suspicion

By Scott Lohman

For security reasons, students are asked to lock their doors to prohibit theft, but how can burglaries be avoided when the culprit has a key?

It seems that’s what happened recently to some residents of Douglas Residence Hall. Although it is unknown when the crime took place, the fact remains that the door was locked and a holographic picture and leather jacket were stolen. The victims believe someone with a key is the perpetrator.

This might cause some to speculate on the effectiveness of room and building security on campus.

Apparently, after Spring Break two roommates returned to their residence in Douglas Hall to find some of their belongings stolen. Steve Radakovitz, a freshman pre-physical therapy major, first discovered that a picture of his was missing. He also noticed the jacket of his roommate, freshman biology major Paul Ingram, was gone.

University Police Sgt. John Hunter said the picture is a Dracula hologram valued at about $100. A black leather jacket valued at $300 also was stolen, he said.

A video tape, which belongs to another person on the floor who might have had three tapes stolen, also was discovered misplaced on the same floor. The tapes were discovered in Radakovitz and Ingram’s room.

“We don’t even have a VCR,” Radakovitz said.

He said he believes someone with a key is to blame for the crime.

“It’s really a mystery. There are tons of people with keys who are able to enter the rooms,” he said.

Ingram said, “You’d think things would be more secure around here. Everything is supposed to be good, but it’s pretty easy for people with keys to get in.”

He said he feels his belongings aren’t safe at NIU anymore, but it could have been worse. Ingram and Radakovitz also had a CD player, CDs, stereos and computers in the room over the break.

Douglas Hall Director Linda Koschoreck confirmed there are many keys which can be used to enter a resident’s room. People with keys include the residents of the room, the resident assistants and those who work at the front desk of the residence halls. Also, senior staff members, physical plant workers, police officers and security officers have master keys.

UP Sgt. Ralph Taylor said there are rules and regulations which prohibit campus personnel from entering rooms where people are living, but “sometimes someone doesn’t always abide by the rules.”

He said it is uncertain if the perpetrator in the Douglas Residence Hall incident had a key, but the UP are continuing to investigate the burglary.

Taylor also said a beer mug containing change was misplaced in the pressing room of the same floor where the picture and jacket were stolen.

He said people should take valuables home over break periods. He also said items of value should by marked with owner’s driver’s license number in order for police to identify them if they are recovered.

Also, he said it is unknown if the burglaries over Spring Break are related to the case where Disney video tapes were stolen from Neptune Residence Hall over Christmas break. No one has been arrested for those burglaries.

In disgust, Radakovitz said, “Locks don’t mean anything if everybody has keys to them.

“I’m glad I’m moving into an apartment next year. That way, I know I’ve got good locks on the doors.”