In celebration of women: The Monologues are back

By Jessica King

The NIU Women’s Studies Program and numerous other sponsors are planning a series of events for Women’s History Month in March.

This year’s theme is volunteerism, and some of the activities and speeches reflect just that.

Included will be a speech on “African-American Women and Volunteerism: A Historical Perspective of Women in Chicago” presented by Floris Barnett Cash from the State University of New York at Stony Brook and one on “Marlene Dietrich and Hollywood’s Representation of the Aging Female Star,” presented by Judith Mayne from The Ohio State University.

The month’s activities will begin in late February with three student performances of “The Vagina Monologues” and a showing of “In the Time of Butterflies,” a film examining the actions of sisters who fought against a Dominican dictator.

“It seems like men enjoy ‘The Vagina Monologues’ as much as women do,” said Jolene Skinner, program coordinator with the Women’s Studies Program. “It’s very entertaining. Sometimes men seem too intimidated to attend our events, but we always encourage women to bring along boyfriends or other males. They can learn a lot.”

Another event will be the “The Vagina Seminar: Re-Imaging Women’s Bodies,” a repeat of a popular event from last year. Students from the Women’s Alliance will research and present information on topics such as STDs, sex toys and contraception choices.

“Students can learn about things maybe they are afraid to ask about,” Skinner said.

This is the 17th year of formally celebrating Women’s History Month at NIU.

The Women’s Studies Program also sponsored a student poster and essay contest. Poster contest winner Cathy Stresinshe and essay contest winners Angela Titus-Polensky and Halima Khan will be recognized at a ceremony next month.

While the Women’s Studies Program is the main coordinator of the month’s events, many other university departments, campus resources and organizations are donating time and money as well.

Seventeen events are scheduled, but more events may be added in the near future.