Annual fair to promote wellness

By Amy Vanerheyden

If your resolution for 1993 was to take better care of yourself, but you are not sure how, you can attend the Wellness Fair co-sponsored by the Office of Campus Recreation and the Employee Wellness and Assistance Program.

The third annual Wellness Fair will be held from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 25 in the Duke Ellington Ballroom at the Holmes Student Center.

The National Wellness Institute uses six dimensions to define wellness: physical (family and nutrition), spiritual, emotional, social (family, community and environmental), intellectual and occupational.

Trisha Shanahan, OCR fitness program coordinator, said there is more to good health than just eating right and exercising.

“Wellness is the buzz word of the nineties and incorporates so much more than just fitness,” Shanahan said.

Twenty community agencies and over 40 NIU departments will be represented at the fair. Each organization will have its own booth and will promote the concept of wellness in its own way. Some of the organizations expected to attend the fair include the American Lung Association, the American Red Cross and the Cancer Association.

The representatives will do more than hand out informative literature. Some of the services that will be provided are cholesterol checks by the Medical Technology Department, posture assessments by Rice Chiropractic Life Center, blood pressure checks by the Student Nurses Association, podiatric diagnostic exams by Family Podiatry and glucose testing by Alpha Christian Registry.

Shanahan said in addition to free services the fair will offer Tae Kwon Do demonstrations, step aerobics demonstrations, pulmonary function tests and free giveaways.

The Fit and Heart Rate Program is another organization expected to attend. They will be sponsoring the Harvard Step Test. This test is designed to measure the strength of the cardiovascular system. Muscle strength, endurance and flexibility are put to the test. People planning on participating in this activity should wear something they will be comfortable in.

Shanahan said that over 800 students, faculty and members of the community attended the fair last year. With fitness on everyone’s mind, she expects this year’s turnout to be even bigger.