Bus to Barsema needs a lift

By Courtney Cavanaugh

Students may run into a little time trouble hiking it from DuSable Hall to Barsema Hall for class.

Some students think the shuttle bus solution as transportation to Barsema Hall is not adequate, and the Huskie Line should extend to the building.

Student Association president Kevin Miller said he hasn’t heard of any complaints, but he is sure Maurice Montgomery, the SA director of transportation services, has. Montgomery was not available for comment.

“There are always complaints,” Miller said. “You can’t make everyone happy. I haven’t heard any complaints in regards to the shuttle bus, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t there.”

Miller said the SA is trying to work with the city of DeKalb to gain access to the roads the SA wants for the Huskie Bus, if it goes to Barsema.

Ralph Tompkins, the DeKalb director of public works, said the stretch of road between Garden and Normal roads on Hillcrest Drive is not built for buses.

Miller said part of the problem is the weight of the buses; the road cannot handle the load. He said the SA is renegotiating its contract with the Huskie Line, and the SA is looking into lighter buses as a potential solution to this problem.

Tompkins said the Huskie Line potentially could go to Barsema if it turned around in the space near Barsema where the shuttle bus turns around.

Miller said the budget crisis isn’t affecting the Huskie Line because it is paid for with student fees, and the SA actually has more money than anticipated for transportation this year.

No changes will be made this semester in regard to the shuttle bus to Barsema.

“If any major changes are made, it’ll probably happen next fall,” Miller said.