DeKalb economy takes hit

By Kristin Cavarretta

Ashley Olsen, a sophomore textiles, apparel and merchandising major, stayed in DeKalb for most of Winter Break and said the area looked like a ghost town. After two years of business, Pete Lutz, owner of Pita Pete’s, 901T Lucinda, has noticed that students tend to spend more money at the start of each semester.

“I can easily sell a pita, chips and a drink at the beginning of the semester,” he said.

“But as the semester comes to an end, it seems that students’ funds dwindle and they purchase fewer items,” Lutz said.

“I’m glad to see the students back,” said Peggy Kennedy, owner of Sugar Momma’s, located at 901F Lucinda.

After the start of Winter Break, Kennedy kept herself busy by filling holiday popcorn orders online, but closed the store after Christmas. Sugar Momma’s reopened last week with temporary hours; regular hours will return the first day of classes.

Kennedy experienced lower sales during the summer, but wasn’t sure what to expect from the break.

Lutz, however, knew exactly how to prepare.

“You have to plan for it,” Lutz said. “You have to cut back inventories, staff. I was ready for it.”

From Christmas to New Year’s, Pita Pete’s was closed, but like Sugar Momma’s, it reopened with shorter hours and a smaller staff.

As students returned to campus, pita sales were back to normal. Pita Pete’s’ normal business hours resumed Sunday.