Engineering students strut their stuff

By Courtney Cavanaugh

Senior engineering and technology students are showing off their skills at today’s Senior Design Day.

Promod Vohra, associate dean of the College of Engineering and Engineering Technology, said seniors will display their designs to alumni, professors, peers and industry professionals from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. at the Engineering Building.

“[Industry professionals] are going to be participating in judging some of the projects,” Vohra said. “Many times industries look at these projects and hire students because they are impressed.”

The event is part of a 400-level capstone class for seniors. The class applies the things students have learned in their college careers, Vohra said.

Romualdas Kasuba, dean of the college of engineering said companies are impressed with the displays.

“Some companies are saying reports and projects are so well done they wish their full-time engineers would do the same thing.”

Vohra said three groups of students from mechanical, electrical and industrial engineering are chosen to present a poster of the design of their project.

“We try to select the three top [projects], and [students] present on that,” he said. “We look at the basic marketability of the product on the poster and we judge it.”

Kasuba said the hard work can leave students with a sense of achievement.

“[The best part is] that students can present their projects and defend them in front of industry representatives,” he said. “They feel they have accomplished something.”

Benjamin Elzerman, a senior mechanical engineering major, will present a redesign of a proton-beam sensor that he worked on at Fermi Lab.

“I don’t think I could’ve done any of the stuff I needed to do to complete the project without the classes that I’ve taken,” he said.

Steve Koss, a senior electrical engineering major, will present his conversion of an existing radio-control car that can be controlled from 200 feet away.

“I put a lot of time and effort into it,” he said.