Classroom talk

Mr. Lawrence’s simple disagreement with what is or is not correct for me to say in MY classroom is something I can handle. But, the idea that a teacher is not to talk about politics in his/her own class is one which is ludicrous. (You know Mr. Lawrence, “sources say” there’s actually a department of political science here at NIU; check it out.)

I suggest that Mr. Lawrence take a COMS 100 class and quick (maybe he can take mine). He would learn the difference between a question and a statement. I was so amazed at his lack of understanding about my role as an instructor, I said, “I’m not supposed to teach student politics in my class???????” My reference to “hurt(ing) me professionally,” was most assuredly a reference to my relationship with Don Gereau and President La Tourette, not my department. Rest assured, I made all the necessary corrections to restore any misunderstanding with these two gentlemen (ha ha, Mr. Lawrence, your attempts at CREATING conflict are not working!).

Moreover, I must say, Mr. Lawrence should not only take a COMS 100 class, but a journalism class as well. He really needs to learn what is and is NOT news. He is going to be an awful busy reporter if he wants to make a story about everything I say in my COMS 100 class. I trust the NIU community will soon become bored with the day-to-day updates on what John Butler says to his class. Maybe Mr. Lawrence can do a series: Pick an instructor and tell us what’s being said. Hey, maybe we can get credit for just reading your articles (this could be the answer to not graduating in four years).

When I invited Mr. Lawrence in my office, I had information to share. I was prepared to give him copies of reports, minutes and letters on every subject from the May tuition increase to the Governor’s Task Force on Higher Education. If the editors knew what he turned down in place of a story about my class, they would probably fire him.

I will continue to teach as I have—using examples from real life to generate interest and understanding into the study of communications. I further ask that Mr. Lawrence stop calling all of my students like a desperate child who can’t get enough candy. If he wants to know something, tell him to ask me; I will tell him as I have ALWAYS told him.

JOHN BUTLER

Student Regent

Student Association