Bring three and your parking will be free

By Stephanie Gandsey

It’s hard to pass up a good deal, especially if the word “free” is involved.

The NIU Convocation Center Board decided to waive the $3 parking free for Huskie men’s and women’s basketball games if three students come together and present their NIU OneCards to a parking attendant.

“The idea was brought up with the board made up of staff, faculty and students, and it was the decision of the board,” said John Gordon, director of the Convocation Center. “We felt very strongly that we wanted to give our students an advantage whenever possible.”

As long as there are at least three students in the car with NIU OneCards, they will receive free parking. Gordon said this provides another advantage for students to attend as many athletic events as possible on campus.

“I think not paying in general is a plus,” senior management major Jason John said. “It’s already hard enough to go to the game.”

Others think the idea isn’t much of a deal since three students need to present an ID.

“I don’t agree with that,” said Tyretha Green, a senior child development major. “What if you decide to go to the basketball game alone?”

Junior marketing major Michael Fitzgibbon would like to see tailgating ThunderStix at the game.

“That’s a good way to get people to come to the games,” Fitzgibbon said.

Gordon said noise makers aren’t allowed in the arenas and he’s unsure whether students would be able to tailgate.

“It can be very cold in the parking lot,” Gordon said. “I’m not clear on the tailgating policy, but I think the weather could play a factor in that.”

Although the parking deal is just in time for the Big Weekend, it only applies during men’s and women’s basketball games.

The Big Weekend is when several Huskie athletic events take place. Starting Friday, Nov. 22, women’s basketball will take on Wisconsin. On Saturday, Nov. 23, FOX will televise the Huskie football game against Toledo, followed by a men’s basketball opening event against DePaul at 5:35 p.m. Finally, on Sunday, Nov. 24, the NIU wrestling team is up against Minnesota, last year’s national champions.