Residence halls offer alternative to home

By Courtney Cavanaugh

Students unable to travel home this holiday season have the option of staying in the residence halls over the break.

Keith Kruchten, administrative vice president of the Residence Hall Association, said the halls close promptly.

“They close the Sunday after finals at 10 a.m., or 24 hours after the final exam for each student,” he said.

Melodie Thomas, coordinator of contracts and assignments for Student Housing and Dining, said students who want to stay and save money should file early.

Early registration costs $100 for the entire break, versus $150 if after Dec. 1. The weekly rate is $30 before Dec. 1 and $45 per week if registering after Dec. 1.

Sara Kaveney, a sophomore art education major, said she might be concerned about her safety, among other things.

“I don’t know how safe I would feel because I know not many people stay,” she said.

Mike Stang, manager of Residential Administration with Student Housing and Dining, said students only may enter the halls with their OneCard ID.

“Safety is enhanced because we have the doors locked 24 hours a day,” he said.

Stang also said there will be someone there to help them, even though the university is closed from Dec. 24 through Jan. 1.

“There’s on-call staff throughout the time,” he said.

Stang added that few students choose to stay, but the floors aren’t completely desolate.

“There’s a handful of people on each floor who stay,” he said.

Sometimes students have no choice but to stay.

“I would stay here if I lived far away and wasn’t able to get home,” Kaveney said.

For information, call Student Housing and Dining Services at 753-1525.