Movie depicts runaway slaves

By Courtney Cavanaugh

Escaped fugitives traveling through wind and rain, swamps and forests used to hide in DeKalb.

The history of runaway slaves in the area was documented by NIU graduate student James Macon’s in his film, “Wade in the Water: The Underground Railroad in DeKalb County, Illinois.”

Macon became involved in the project when NIU communication professor Jeffrey Chown called him and pitched the idea.

“People today don’t know a lot about what what was going on in the 1800s,” Chown said.

Macon said he liked the subject matter for his documentary.

“The story was so good; it was almost a blessing,” Macon said.

The film offers profiles of three churches that were active in the abolitionist movement, and interviews with experts Phyllis Kelley, Nancy Beasley and Bud Burgin, according to a press release.

Beasley has been interested in local history for the past 25 years and has done intensive research, she said.

Macon also worked on the project with NIU communication professor Laura Vazquez.

“I thought it was terribly interesting that somebody wanted to tell a story about the underground railroad in this area,” she said.

Vazquez worked with Macon in post-production of the project, in which Macon said he spent many hours editing.

“I probably could’ve made three films by the time I was done editing,” Macon said.

“It amazes me that you film hours and hours and then it’s all condensed into 32 minutes,” Beasley said.

The film premieres Thursday at Sycamore’s historic movie theater with free screenings at 7 and 8:15 p.m.

Theater owner Daryl Hopper said she is donating the theater for the evening.

“I think it’s a story that needs to be told,” she said. “It’s a part of our history that hasn’t been told.”

Macon said the most difficult part of the project was finding information about the African Americans and “implementing a black voice.”

Macon also said the experience of making the film was very rewarding.

“I think the best part was meeting the people in the community,” he said.

Vazquez said the final product is worth seeing.

“It’s a very well-structured narrative about history and its importance to each and every one of us,” she said.

Chown said the film is one of the best pieces of work he’s seen from a graduate student, and that Macon was one of his best students.

“He is an idea man,” Chown said. “He’s a terrific writer and he’s a very deep and reflective individual.”