BOT to toss around idea of using student z-IDs

By Sara Blankenheim

he SA passed a resolution affirming that students no longer will have to use their Social Security Numbers as a means of identification.

The resolution has been sent to the Board of Trustees and President John Peters for further review.

The idea began last year when the SA Senate passed a petition to remove the use of SSNs.

SA President Kevin Miller said the resolution is similar to the petition.

“The resolution is kind of a reinforcement,” he said. “It’s to show that we’re still aware of it; that there’s a problem.”

Some students still are being asked for their SSNs, and shouldn’t be, Miller said.

“Usually every test I take I put my Social Security Number on,” said Lauren Collins, a senior speech and language pathology major. “One teacher told us to put our z-ID number on a test, but that wasn’t on a Scantron.”

“There’s really no reason faculty should be asking for Social Security Numbers,” Miller said. “If I’m not mistaken, it’s illegal.”

Junior psychology major Josh Rennels still uses his SSN out of habit.

“They just recently started giving us options, and I always used my Social Security Number before, so I just continued using it,” Rennels said.

Miller has a few visions as to what should happen next.

“I’d like to see the provost [Ivan Legg] send a letter out to deans and chairs of departments, basically just as a reminder not to ask students for their Social Security Number,” Miller said.

Senior sociology major Jorie Galan would like to see a change.

“[Professors] have been using z-IDs now,” she said. “Social Security Numbers are easier to remember, but I’d rather use Z-IDs because they’re better for security purposes.”

A permanent solution would be to change the systems used altogether. However, a solution like that could be very costly.

“It would cost millions to replace the systems we use now,” Miller said. “And being in the midst of a budget cut, I’d rather see the money put toward necessary classes and things so students can graduate.”