Chandelier Dining Room reopens

By Stephanie Gandsey

As you make your way to your residence hall cafeteria, the familiar smells of hamburgers, hot dogs and pizzas fill the air.

Although it’s tempting to eat the same thing you had for lunch yesterday, you wish for something a little more exotic – a little more adventurous.

The Chandelier Dining Room in Adams Hall is re-opening today. The dining room was closed last spring for renovations.

The dining room has new linens and centerpieces for the tables, curtains and a new range in the kitchen.

“We’re excited to re-open and to see our loyal patrons again,” said Joan Quinn, coordinator of Quantity Food Labs. “It was sad not to be open last semester.”

The Chandelier Dining Room offers themed menus prepared by students majoring in nutrition, dietetics and hospitality. The student in charge for a certain day must create a menu that not only appeals to taste, but one that is nutritional. Every item is made from scratch by the students and the menus are different every time.

Diners can view a nutritional analysis to see the contents of what they’re eating. The dining room also offers vegetarian options.

“Everything is fresh and we have nutritional foods,” Quinn said.

Allison Pernecky, a nutrition and dietetics graduate assistant, said the Chandelier Room offers hands-on experience for FCNS majors.

“A lot of effort is put into preparing the menus,” Pernecky said. “It’s not a regular restaurant.”

Erica Wilkerson, a senior nutrition, dietetics and hospitality major, is in charge of planning the menu for Sweetest Day on Oct. 22. Wilkerson will serve turkey and plum sauce over rice for the main course, and chocolate-covered strawberries for dessert.

“The Chandelier Dining Room gives everyone a chance to experience different menus,” Wilkerson said.

Today’s menu features items like traditional beef burgundy, signature spinach lasagna, spicy cheese biscuits and Mint Meltaway brownies. Graduate assistant Kim Ballantyne planned the opening day menu.

The Chandelier Dining Room is open for lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m Tuesdays and Thursdays. The cost is $7 for an all-you-can-eat buffet, but reservations must be made. To make a reservation, call 753-1895.

To view upcoming menus, recipes and staff, visit http://chandelierdining.hhsweb.com.