NIU Board of Trustees meets to discuss student, financial affairs

By Jeff Goluszka

Two Board of Trustees meetings are scheduled for today. Both will be held at the Holmes Student Center’s Capitol Room.

Academic and student affairs

• From 9 to 10 a.m., there will be the Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and Personnel Committee meeting.

– The meeting is expected to include the following presentations of proposals for committee review and endorsement: collective bargaining agreements, appointment of acting vice provost for research and dean of the graduate school and appointment with rank and tenure.

• For review and information: Fiscal year 2004 programmatic budget requests, fiscal year 2002 Results Report, Professional Excellence awards for faculty and staff, fiscal year 2002 external funding for research, public service and instructional projects and Higher Learning Commission Accreditation update.

Finance, facilities and operations

• From 10 a.m. to noon, the Finance, Facilities and Operations Committee will meet.

– The meeting is expected to include the following presentations of proposals for committee review and endorsement: Fiscal year 2004 appropriated capital budget request, fiscal year 2004 non-appropriated capital budget; fiscal year 2003 internal budget, Gilbert Drive parking lot reconstruction – capital project approval, Holmes Student Center Ballroom renovation and equipment – capital project approval, Holmes Student Center ADA upgrades – capital project approval and geology and environmental sciences research equipment.

• For review and information: Fiscal year 2002 annual report on capital activities, fiscal year 2002 annual report of transactions involving real property, fiscal year 2002 report of tuition and fee waivers, fiscal year 2002 annual report of cash and investments, fiscal year 2002 annual summary report – obligation of financial resources, periodic summary report of transactions in excess of $100,000, major capital project updates and legislative update.

Both committees possibly will discuss other matters.