Cultures come together

By Courtney Cavanaugh

As students approached Central Park last night, they could hear the beats of music and unity.

The “Cultures Welcome Night” featured performances by hip-hop artists Boo-Ray and Gemini, NIU’s Black Choir and the Rhythm Nation dance troupe.

“This is very exciting,” said Ramonski Luv, the deejay for the evening. “All the different ethnic backgrounds coming together, this is — wow!”

PRISM Co-President Tony Emling was excited about the event because he thought it was a great way for students to get information.

“This is a great opportunity to let people find out what kinds of programs we have,” he said.

The event offered a variety of cultural foods, but it was the music and people that drew many to the event.

Phinette Maszka, coordinator of constituent relations and program development with Human Resource Services, attributed the large student attendance to the music.

“I think it’s great to have the music out here because it’s young,” she said.

Junior criminology major Karina Solis agreed.

“I like the music,” she said. “It makes you want to dance.”

Jaime Garcia, a junior business major and Sigma Lambda Beta fraternity member, said his fraternity wanted to participate for a few reasons.

“It’s like one big family that comes to culture night,” he said. “This is where I got interested in the fraternity, so I could only hope I could do it for someone else.”

Many thought the event was a good device for bringing unity to the campus.

“It is important for all students of all backgrounds to feel welcome at NIU,” said Susana Das Neves, a counselor with NIU’s CHANCE program. “If you start celebrating the similarities instead of the differences, you start to become one people,” she said. “That’s what unites people.”

Junior OMIS major Khoa Nguyen echoed Neves’ response.

“This school is so diverse,” he said. “This gets everyone together to learn about cultures.”

Deejay Ramonski Luv again stressed the importance of unity.

“It’s fun to learn what different groups do,” Luv said. “How do they live? If we learn from each other, this country will be a better place.”