Patchouli concert mixes it up

By Stephanie Barnes

Despite a small turnout, Patchouli delivered a riveting blend of acoustic soul and folk music for NIU students Wednesday night at the Holmes Student Center’s Diversions Lounge.

The event was sponsored by CAB Coffeehouse and included an intimate, candle-lit setting.

Patchouli is the name of an exotic herb that relieves stress and anxiety, and also is an aphrodisiac. The band used the same name for an uptempo and jazzy song on its latest album “Come a Little Closer.”

Patchouli’s music is tough to categorize. Its unique style is comparable to many world beats as well as folk music.

“We call it jam-folk or folk-mingo,” said guitarist Bruce Hecksel. “Really, it’s eclectic, but not everyone knows what that means. The best one I’ve heard so far, from a TV interview, is ‘Joni Mitchell meets Santana.’”

Dorian Burk, CAB Coffeehouse coordinator, invited Patchouli to perform after seeing them at a National Association of Campus Activities conference. Burk hopes that more students will come and see the next several acts performing this semester.

“This year, we’ve had a better turnout,” Burk said. “I’m glad that we can appeal to different groups of people on campus.”

Before closing the show, students got the chance to make their own music, using a few of the band’s instruments.

Sophomore history major Matt Davison said although he never heard of Patchouli before, the performance was an unexpected surprise.

“This is the first time I’ve seen them perform,” Davison said. “I really enjoyed the show, though.”

Sophomore art major Elizabeth Wolden said she is a huge a fan of the band.

“I loved it,” she said. “I think Patchouli’s great. I go to all their shows.”

The husband-and-wife duo of Hecksel and lead singer Julie Patchouli began playing six years ago. Hecksel has been playing the guitar for the past 20 years. He said that many of his musical influences are culturally diverse and that he and his wife listen to everything from punk rock to classical music. Some of his favorite artists are Paul Simon and African artist Papa Wimba.

Patchouli’s previous albums are “Sunshine Baby,” “Visions,” “The Day We Let Go” and “Live at The House.”

After Patchouli’s performance at DeKalb’s the House last year, owner and drummer Sven Hansen decided to join the duo. Hansen said that he and the duo immediately had a musical chemistry.

“They started playing at The House and I play all these different hand drums,” he said. “We play at the House every four to six weeks. We just jammed and we hit it off right away. We didn’t even have to practice. I also play with them around the Midwest.”

Patchouli will perform at The House next month. Other upcoming CAB Coffeehouse acts will include Heather Bishop, The Day and Marvin Tate’s D-Settlement.