Petition deadline passes, city office candidates determined

By MICHAEL BERG

The deadline to file petitions to run for DeKalb city offices in the April election has passed and the local candidates have all been determined.

The last day to file petitions to run in the April 20 election was Tuesday. Contested city posts in this election are the mayoral position, 2nd, 4th and 6th Ward aldermanic seats and the city clerk position.

The mayoral contest has become a two-man race between incumbent Greg Sparrow and 2nd Ward Alderman Michael Welsh.

Harold Russie, who previously had announced his intentions to run for the position, backed out of the race Friday to endorse Welsh.

Sparrow has said he plans to use his “experience and availability” to continue promoting economic development and balancing the budget.

Welsh, however, has said more efforts need to be made to keep the businesses already in DeKalb, and not just “swap stores and industry.”

Welsh also has emphasized that his campaign is “people-to-people,” and he will make decisions based on the needs of the residents.

In the 2nd Ward position, candidates Burdette Rainwater, William Froom and Donna Johnson have filed petitions to be placed on the ballot.

ainwater has said he is concerned with taxes, proper spending, crime and growth in DeKalb.

Johnson and Froom were unavailable for comment.

Laurie Roff, a local businessperson, and incumbent Rita Eewksbury are running in the 4th Ward aldermanic race.

In the student-dominated 6th Ward, NIU alumnus Robbie Arrington, along with NIU students K.O. Johnson, a senior marketing major and Brad Strauss, a senior political science major, have turned in their petitions.

Johnson has said he plans to be a permanent resident in DeKalb and, therefore, has its long-term interests in mind.

Arrington, general manager for Mason Properties, said his main objective is gaining more government interest when a person’s safety, health or welfare is at risk and less overemphasis on other issues.

Strauss has said he is running because he wants “to empower students to take a greater part in their city government and to make the students a respectable voice.”

Eric Grice, a sophomore finance major, had previously announced his intention to run for the position but decided not to because of a “number of commitments this semester.”

Grice said he wanted to dedicate as much time as he could to the election and not sacrifice one commitment for another. Grice did give his support to Strauss.

Incumbent city clerk Marguerite Hoyt is unopposed for the city clerk’s office.

Thomas Gary, a DeKalb County Board member who collected enough signatures to run for city clerk, decided not to turn in his petition.