Writing Center finds new home

By Sara Blankenheim

Residence hall dwellers who need help with English assignments have only a few steps to take to find it.

The writing center now is located on the lower level of Stevenson South’s B-Tower.

“It is the only center on campus that is available to any member of the NIU community, including faculty and grad students,” said Gail Jacky, associate director of the center.

The center can accommodate 15 to 20 sessions at a time.

“Making appointments guarantees a spot and someone to work with,” Jacky said.

Appointments can be made as far in advance as the end of the semester.

The center is the same as the center previously located in Reavis Hall, but with the exception of being much larger. The center also will boast new technology in upcoming weeks.

The only other writing center on campus is the English as a Second Language Center, but it’s only used by international students.

The added convenience of the center’s location fairs well with students.

“I’ve never used the center, but I would definitely consider it,” said Joey Cantu, a junior developmental disabilities major. “The new location is much more convenient since so many people live in the dorms.”

However, the center was not what sophomore physical education major Renee Wilson expected.

“I received a lot of help, but when I got [the outline] back, my instructor said it was structured wrong and it only deserved a D,” she said.

In the center’s defense, Jacky stated its mission.

“We are not here to fix papers or write them for you,” Jacky said. “We are here to make better writers by identifying the problems and explaining how to overcome them. That way you are aware of how not to make them in the future.”

The interest among students and faculty in the service is growing rapidly. The center held 5,680 sessions from June 2001 to May 2002– 1,900 more than the previous year, Jacky said.

The center’s staff consists of faculty and students who undergo rigorous training. The staff also is required to attend weekly training sessions.

Some overlooked services the center offers include help with letters of application, program admittance letters, resumés, creative writing, and critical thinking.

Since there is limited parking around the center, Jacky recommends using the Huskie Bus Line’s Campus Circle R or L bus and stopping at Stevenson South.

The center is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Friday. The center also is open open from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Monday through Wednesday.