A NITE with the ladies

By Lisa Weber

Have you seen that black-and-white periodical filled with pictures of half-naked college girls?

DeKalb Nite Publications is a monthly newspaper that serves the NIU community by providing special issues, such as Valentine’s Day and homecoming, for NIU students.

Publisher Frank Trebusak started the paper in August of 1975. Trebusak is a former NIU marketing major and Northern Star employee.

“I was interested in advertising and I wanted to try something on my own,” Trebusak said.

DeKalb Nite Publications used to be a weekly paper until 1990 when the paper became monthly, Trebusak said.

“The most popular feature is ‘Coed of the Week,’ ” Trebusak said. “One model is featured in each issue, and the models can be non-students.”

In 1982, Cindy Crawford was featured as “Coed of the Week,” which Trebusak believes started her career as a model.

“An application is submitted with two photos,” Trebusak said. “The photos do not need to be professional. I then decide which are most photogenic. The applicant must be 18 and older.”

Photographs in the paper also include bikini contests from Amnesia and Starbusters, Trebusak said.

DeKalb Nite Publications doesn’t include any news articles, as it features mainly advertisements and photographs, Trebusak said.

“The first issue of each semester is a back-to-school issue,” Trebusak said. “This issue includes a campus map, city map and schedules of NIU’s sports teams. Special issues are geared towards the NIU community.”

Trebusak does most of the work for the paper by himself, but he has photographers who work with him. He also works out of his own home.

“It’s my 27th year in business and I really enjoy the paper,” Trebusak said. “It’s like my baby. I’d like to see it grow a little bit more. I’ve got different ideas to expand the paper.”

Trebusak has had people who have advertised for him for all 27 years.

“It’s pretty amazing that some people who advertise with us are still with us,” he said. “The paper has been pretty successful.”

People interested in being a model can call Trebusak at 895-2522 or write to DeKalb Nite Publications, P.O. Box 434.