Deaf student has positive outlook

By Peter Steele

Erin Bell lives in a world where the simplest sounds such as a bird’s chirping or the roar of the ocean’s waves can’t be heard.

Bell, a sophomore deaf education major and Deaf Pride president, has been deaf since birth, but she has a positive outlook about her condition.

“I am proud to be deaf,” Bell said.

Bell, who is the middle child to parents Dorothy and David Bell, has had a lot of support from her entire family.

“Being deaf hasn’t been that hard for me because my parents have supported me all my life,” she said. “My brothers, Tyler and Eric, have been such an encouragement to me, also.”

Bell said growing up deaf was especially a challenge in high school, but she doesn’t complain about it.

“There were a lot of kids that would make fun of me because I wasn’t like them,” Bell said. “What those kids didn’t realize is that I really am just like them.”

She also said that growing up with this ridicule would get her into trouble at times.

“I would get so frustrated that people couldn’t understand me that I would sometimes fight,” Bell said. “It wasn’t until later that I realized being deaf is special, and I just accepted it.”

During high school, Bell said that being on the pom squad helped her get along with others and help them realize that she wasn’t handicapped.

“I was in the pom squad for all four years of high school,” Bell said. “Being on the squad proved to everyone else that I could do what I wanted to do. This broke the barrier between hearing people and me.”

As Bell reflects on the world, she said that she wouldn’t want to change too much in her life.

“The only thing I would want to see changed in society is people’s thoughts about deafness,” Bell said. “We really aren’t different at all.”

Anita Zgoda, a sophomore political science major, lives on Bell’s floor.

“Erin is such a fun person to hang out with,” Zgoda said. “She puts a smile on everyone’s face.”

Marta Laskus, a senior deaf education major who also lives on Bell’s floor, agreed.

“She is very willing and open to help people enhance their sign skills,” Laskus said. “I am proud to think of her as a friend.”