Awareness week united deaf and hearing cultures

By Peter Steele

The deaf community had high praise for the success of last week’s deaf awareness. According to both the hearing and the deaf, there was a solid unification of both cultures.

Erin Bell, a sophomore deaf education major and deaf pride president, reported that deaf awareness was a complete success.

“This year we saw awareness within our own culture as well as the hearing culture,” Bell said. “Both cultures gained respect and acknowledgement from each other. We all learned something from one another this past week.”

Melissa Santiago, a freshman deaf education major, said that there was a very positive outcome from last week’s events.

“I believe that the message we tried to get out seemed to impact a lot of people,” Santiago said. “We put a strong message out there that we are not that different. It’s a lot like we are a different race or speak a different language. I am very thankful for all the progress this week and I hope this continues to create a bridge between the two communities of this university.”

Kristin Parks, a freshman special education major, learned that the DeKalb movie theater offered an open-captioned movie, “American Pie 2.”

“I was able to talk to a few friends who are deaf and they felt really special that the theater would offer something for them,” Parks said. “This was a great way for the hearing to show their support to the deaf.”

Keith Baker, a sophomore criminal justice major, was excited to see the efforts between the two cultures.

“Both cultures should be applauded for their tireless efforts this past week,” Baker said.

Freshman history major Abigail Pospisil said this past week was a time for society to remember for a lifetime.

“Both cultures were working with each other very effectively,” Pospisil said. “These cultures both experienced a huge positive which will ultimately lead to an increased awareness in the future.”

Sacha Chen, a freshman graphic design major, praised the efforts of both cultures last week.

“It’s not easy to always understand the hearing culture, but this past week helped bridge the gap between everyone,” Chen said. “Both cultures have something to be proud of.”

Anita Zgoda, a sophomore political science major, saw the effects of last week and praises both cultures.

“It was awesome to see the communication barrier was broken down this past week,” Zgoda said. “I was proud to see firsthand that both sides were willing to conquer the divide between the cultures.”