Bus to mall will roll this spring

By Peter Steele

NIU will receive a new weekend shuttle to Fox Valley Mall, pending an approval from the Bus Fee Review Committee in a week.

In a Student Association Mass Transit Board meeting, a 5-2 majority vote allowed the new shuttle service to start in spring of 2002.

A motion to pass a seven-day commuter shuttle, which would have picked up commuter students from the Geneva-Aurora train station, failed by a 5-3 margin.

This new shuttle will take students, faculty and DeKalb residents to Fox Valley Mall on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. The proposed prices would be $2 for students, $3 for faculty and $5 for DeKalb residents. These fees would be implemented to offset the $9,500 cost per semester to have this shuttle.

Christy Hartnett, SA director of transportation, believes the shuttle offers a great opportunity.

“We are excited to be able to provide a new service to open entertainment opportunities to NIU students,” Hartnett said.

SA Sen. Kevin O’Kelly favors the decision of the committee.

“There still might be interest in the seven-day commuter shuttle,” O’Kelly said. “Right now, we can’t justify starting it this spring.”

In a survey distributed by the SA Mass Transit Board, it was found that only 3 percent of students polled favored the seven-day commuter shuttle, while 50 percent of students favored the weekend shuttle.

Freshman elementary education major Kathleen Smyrniotis sees the proposal as a positive.

“This is an awesome opportunity for all students,” Smyrniotis said. “This will give students who don’t have a car an opportunity to get out.”

Mike Gotthardt, SA director of academic affairs, believes the interests of the students were served.

“We tried to be as faithful to the survey results, as close as possible,” Gotthardt said.