Huskie Den appeals to students

By Nicholas Utech

Cheap and fun.

To a college student, those two words are pure bliss, and that’s exactly what NIU’s Huskie Den aims to provide.

“We’re expecting a good year this year,” said Bob Carlson, assistant manager.

The Huskie Den supplies students with a variety of entertainment including bowling, billiards and a video arcade.

“It’s a cool place to hang out,” said Amber Duce, a sophomore elementary education major. “It’s nice if you have nothing else to do.”

Although cosmic bowling still is considered to be the most popular thing to do, pool is starting to make its way to the top.

“Last year, pool tournaments and playing pool didn’t go so well,” said manager Donna Wargo. “But this year the tables are getting more attention, and people have been suggesting pool tournaments.”

Huskie Den employees also are helping students enjoy their day.

“There’s plenty of stuff to do here,” said Matt Nelson, a senior manufacturing engineering technology major. “The service is good, too. If something happens while you’re playing bowling, they’ll help you out right away.”

New ideas are in the making at the Huskie Den, including installing a snack bar for students.

“The snack bar will be a great hit,” said Mary Clemons, a senior corporate communication major and student manager. “We’re going to have slushies, a lot of people will like that.”

Senior art major Rob Leo agrees the snack bar will be successful.

“I think the students will make a mess,” he said. “They’re always looking for food somewhere.”

The snack bar is set to open during the spring semester and will start off accepting cash only, but it may change to using Huskie Bucks in the future.

The Huskie Den also is a great way to meet other students around campus.

“I see people frequently on the pool tables by themselves,” Wargo said. “Then they see another person alone, and soon they’re both playing together.”

Also, prices are always at their best for students.

“We like to keep the prices down as low as we can for the students,” Wargo said. “We also have discount cards [which cost] $5 on bowling and pool.”

Normal prices for bowling are $1.60 per game all week, except for Fridays from 5:30 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. when it’s $1.80 per game. With the discount card, students would spend $1 per game. With pool, normal prices are $4 per hour Sunday through Thursday and $4.25 per hour Friday and Saturday. With the discount cards, students would spend $2 per game. The cards will last for one month from the purchased date.

Freshman marketing major Brian Watson bowls regularly and enjoys playing at the Huskie Den.

“It’s good prices,” he said. “It’s better than ISU. Definitely.”