NIU’s Muslim students denounce attacks

By Nicholas Utech

Although Muslim extremist groups often are thought of as suspects in terrorist attacks like Tuesday’s, NIU’s Muslim Student Association frowns upon what has happened.

“We do not support any terrorism act against any nation,” said Abdullah Alghanim, a political science graduate student who is a member of the MSA. “Our condolences go out to the people who were affected by this. Both us, and the Islam nation feel sorry for them.”

Alghanim said this doesn’t sound like an act of his people.

“Muslim means peace,” Alghanim said. “We have a tradition not to harm a tree, animal or innocent person during peace time, and we follow that tradition.”

Earlier Tuesday evening, the MSA held their regularly scheduled meeting. During the meeting, there was little indication of the events that had happened earlier in the day.

“Everyone [at the meeting] felt bad about what had happened,” Alghanim said. “There may be some special events we do on campus to benefit those who are suffering.”

Alghanim did not expect Tuesday’s tragic events.

“I was shocked, actually, because I did not expect something like this to happen in the U.S.A.,” he said. “We hope that it stops, and we hope that nothing will come for the future.”

Sadiya Kahn, a management information systems graduate student and secretary for the MSA, also was stunned.

“I didn’t believe it at first,” she said. “You sit there and you watch it, and it brings you to tears almost.”

Alghanim did not think, to his experience and knowledge, that there was a lot of discrimination against the MSA on campus.

“We don’t know who is behind this,” he said. “And no fingers should be pointed yet. We just have to distinguish who this is.”

Kahn, however, felt that there was a little discrimination.

“I think there is prejudice due to ignorance,” she said. “One person will do something ignorant, or inhumane, and people will make the judgement that everyone of that religion is the same way. People take the media as gospel.”

Kahn said probably everyone knows of a friend or family member who knew someone in the incident.

“We don’t condone violence in any way,” she said. “And we really hope that there is justice for this.”

The MSA will continue to help as much as they can.

“The people who did this prepared it very well, but what happened was unfortunate,” he said. “We share the victims’ suffering, and we will support them.”